Sunday, February 8, 2009

Carmelized French Toast

I truly wish I would have taken a picture before digging into this delicious dish because it was almost too pretty to eat. Almost. Jared's mom got this recipe from a Bed & Breakfast and I swear it is the tastiest breakfast I've ever had. I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend making this. I split this into 2 square casserolle dishes so my sister in law and I both had some. It was plenty for both families, so next time I make I will probably half the recipe.

1 cup butter
4 Tbl Corn Syrup
1 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

12 Eggs
2 Cups of Milk
2 Tsp. Vanilla
2 Loaves Thick Sliced Bread (Texas Toast) - We used regular bread & was still yummy.
Cinnamon to taste

Frozen, Sliced Strawberries
Vanilla Yogurt

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a small saaucepan. Cook over moderate heat until bubbly. Grease a 9x15 baking dish. Pour syrup into baking dish. Nestle bread slices into the syrup, making 2 layers. Mix together the eggs, vanilla milk and cinnamon and pour over bread. You might have to lift some bread pieces to make sure milk mixture gets under all the bread pieces. Cover pan and refrigerate overnight. Next morning, remove dish from refrigerator and uncover. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake bread for 45 minutes. Loosen edges of the bread then invert pan onto large plate so that caramel is on top. cut into 8 portions and top with berries and yogurt. (We also added sliced banannas.)

No comments: