Thursday, April 2, 2009

South African Potato & Ground Beef Curry

{UPDATE: I finally got around to making this, and it was divine! Loved it.}
This is a recipe I would have never found and tried on my own. I am not a curry fan, or at least I thought I wasn't since I basically dry heave when I walk past an Indian Restaurant. But recently we had a Primary Activity where we explored missions around the globe. Sister Laurel Nicolaysen from our ward was one of our missionaries, representing South Africa. She had brought this dish for the children to try. It not only smelled wonderful, unlike Indian food, it tasted wonderful also. I don't have a couple of the ingredients on hand, but I can't wait to get them and try this out on my own.


1 lb ground beef
2 medium sized onions, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper, to taste
1-2 tablespoons curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon apricot jam
1/3 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 8oz can tomatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup water
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1.5 cups carrots
1 cup peas

Directions:
1. Brown meat and onions in oil.
2. Stir in salt, pepper, curry powder, and turmeric and cook for about 3 minutes
3. Add jam, vinegar, sugar, tomato and water and simmer for 1 hour
4. Add potatoes and carrots and cook 30 minutes
5. Add frozen peas and warm through.
6. Adjust seasoning and serve with rice and Mrs. Balls Peach Chutney.

NOTE: She didn't serve according to #6 - she served over an open roll that was called something but I can't remember? It was basically a roll.

No comments: