Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Mom's Christmas Ham Soup

In my family, we had a ham every Christmas. And after the ham was about gone, my mom would make this yummy soup. It has been years since I have had it, but since I had a leftover ham in the refrigerator, I had her email me the recipe, and it is cooking as I type! It already smells delicious. Jared has it in him mind that he doesn't like soups even though he refuses to even try any of them? He will be missing out on dinner tonight. I can't wait.

Leftover ham bone
1 bag great northern white beans
chopped celery
chopped onion
chopped carrots

In large pot pour beans and place ham bone over top. Add water until ham bone is covered. Let it simmer (gentle boil) until ham falls off the bone. Add veggies and let cook 20-30 more minutes. Season at the very end with salt and pepper - the ham usually salts it enough though. Serve with warm bread. Who knew something so simple could be SO yummy??

No comments: